Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Escalante Adventure

I want to re-cap what a splendid summer it's been! I'll start with our trip to Escalante, UT for a Checketts family reunion at my Aunt Sannette's house.

I Love Escalante's gorgeous red rock! Not to mention the picturesque western landscape! This rock is called Rattlesnake Point- It's in my Aunt's backyard, and buried at the base of it is an ancient Anasazi settlement! We hiked to the top- a quick little hike to a breathtaking view!



Sam and I basking in the glory of the view! I love the striations of the sedimentary layers... Wow- I think my geology teacher would be proud of my observations!

My big sister Hillary and I at the top of Rattlesnake point, heading down to explore the riverbed. I think we look pretty outdoorsy/adventurous! What do you think?!

Not sure what plant this is- but it was all along the dried up riverbed- made me think of the little rhyme: "Mary, Mary, quite contrary, how does your garden grow? With Silverbells and Cockershells and Pretty Maids all in a row!" A little diddy I picked up in third grade, thank you very much... I think these could get away with being called Cocker Shells!

My aunt had these cute little fuzzy kittens- I really wish I could have taken this little fur-ball home!




Beautiful lake not too far out of Escalante. We did a special memorial service for my dear Uncle Dan. Sam and I want to come back and fish here sometime. It reminds me of a lake in some Nicholas Sparks novel!

The little road that lead to the Bed and Breakfast Sam and I stayed at.
The Slot Canyons Inn Bed and Breakfast in Escalante. We LOVED it! The owners are so nice and hospitible and it is such a cool, cozy place on a gorgeous property. Talk about getting away from it all!



Another awsome view of Rattlesnake Point. My aunt was taking us to the Anasazi ruins for a guided tour! She is so knowledgeable- she could upen a museum!




We're all getting the schpiel from Aunt Sannette- see the grey spots of dirt on the ground? That's layers and layers worth of the Anasazi fire-pits over the centuries!



Brigham Young University Archeology students came and dug up the settlement site and re-buried it when they left to preserve it. It doesn't look like much, but there's a whole lot of amazing history under there...

In fact, I found my own little piece of history nearby the site! It's an Anasazi button or bead. This little pebble just caught my eye- then I realized when I picked it up, it wasn't a pebble after all!

It's just a small little piece of the past.

On the way home, Sam and I couldn't stop pulling over to admire the gorgeous rock formations through Bryce Canyon. This part of the country is unbelievable!

I don't know- do they look like little castle towers to you?

Arches and ridges...

and Sam stealing kisses. That's what I call a good vacation!

5 comments:

Clint and Gillian said...

looks like lots of fun dev! great pictures too!

Laura said...

Awesome trip! Way to soak it all in!

Justin & Rebecca &family said...

Looks like a great get away.

Jamie Pearson said...

I love southern utah! Glad you got to enjoy the great outdoors

Unknown said...

WOW!.... These are great pictures, I love pictures of your adventure.
Thanks for posting pictures....

--
Jhon
You cannot go wrong on the best security systems