Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Friday, July 16, 2010

Nauvoo litterally means in Hebrew, "The City Beautiful". You can see why...

Somebody told me it was time for a new blog post and I decided not to be a flake and just post already! Well, I have a great reason for a new blog post actually! One of my best friends Chari got married in Nauvoo and I told myself I was going- no matter what! Heaven knows I've missed way too many of my friends weddings and I wasn't about to let it happen again! Some of you know I did a semester of school in Nauvoo.  My time there was Heaven on Earth and so the Temple by the river beckoned me once again!
My fabulous friend Heather and her awesome hubby picked me up from the airport in Kansas city and we drove to Nauvoo that night.  We got there in time to watch the sunset and it just melted my heart! However, the humidity kind of melted my make-up too! Remember, I did my semester here in the Winter.  When I first walked out of the airport I was like, "Whoa! It feels like a sauna out here!" Hello people, I live in Utah, a dry arrid desert and so going to Illinois in June was quite a humid treat! Speaking of treats...
Heather and I threw a little bridal shower for Chari and since she and Chase were going on their honeymoon in Hawaii, we wanted to do a fun little luau theme.  As the mastermind to these fruit kabobs (yes I know, I'm brilliant!) I will take some credit.  However, Heather and her hubby Ronnie put them together and they turned out GORGEOUS! We sprayed whipping cream over the tops of them when we were about to eat them and they were like Strawberry Shortcakes on a stick!

Here's some more of our amazing theme-y decorations

Who doesn't like beverage perasols? These little umbrellas always make me happy!

Apparently shortcake kabobs make us all happy!

Chari even had a kabob as her "last supper" breakfast right before the wedding! How cute is she?!
Chari's dad is one of the funniest guys I know.  He's either always smiling or telling a cheesy funny joke. Gotta love him!

After their Sealing ceremony, we all waited outside for them to make their grand appearance to the world as Nauvoo's newest couple! Of course I found a nice photo-op while I was waiting... I always do!

I love this shot, right after they got outside.  It's like Chari's saying "Hello world! I'm a brand new bride and look at my hunky hubby!"

A storybook kiss before they descend the stairs.

We love our Ruchi (that's our nickname for Chari- those of us that lived in the Porch House together in Rexburg)!

One thing I LOVE about Chase is that he always makes Chari laugh and smile- I couldn't have picked a more perfect person for her if I tried!

Already relaxing on the porch on rocking chairs- like they've been married for 50 years. Gotta love it!

Chari's fam after the lunch at Grandpa John's Cafe.  Chari's mom is so cute and petite and she's got great taste in her clothes too! I LOVE her shirt! P.S. I know you can't tell in this picture, but ladies, Chari's little brother Carl looks just like Jasper from the Twilight movies. No joke!

One last look at the temple before driving out to the reception in Terre Haute, Indiana (about 4 hours away).  Isn't the temple the most beautiful thing you've seen!

Memorial statue of Hyrum and Joseph leaving Nauvoo for Carthage before they were martyrd.  I was standing at this statue when I took the last picture of the temple.  I love how it looks like they're riding on the top of trees, but really it was just a cool vantage point.  They are actually bushes surrounding the base of the statue.
Chari's hilarious brother Darren and his lovely wife Chelsea at the reception.  Darren has a really great Terre Haute-ian accent.  It's cracked me up since I first met him in college.  He loves to Bass fish and right now he's a cook for a ranch.  How COOL is that?!!
Chari's besty's at her reception.  Me, Heather and Jessica on the right.  It was so good to finally meet Jessica after all these years.  She was Chari's best friend from back home in Indiana.
After all of the festivities I was kind of pooped-out! For some CRAZY reason I gave up my seat as a volunteer so someone else could get home.  They gave me $400 worth of Delta travel vouchers and put me up in a king-size bed at the Marriott as well as meal vouchers.  However, I don't think I'll do it ever again because the next morning when I went to the airport to catch my new flight, it was cancelled! So much for being nice and letting someone else have my seat! THEN, the next flight got cancelled again and I ended up leaving the airport at 8:30PM!!!! I got them to give me $100 more in travel vouchers for all of my "trouble", but I'm never volunteering to give up my seat again!

It was an all around amazing experience to be there with Chari and friends and her family for her special day.  I wish them all the happiness in the world!



3 comments:

Carla H. said...

Congratulations to the happy couple! I love your photographs on this post. Now I want kabobs. mmmm fruit kabobs.

Laura said...

What a great update! I've never been to the temple there. How cool! It's fun to see you and Heather together. :) Awesome strawberry shortcake kabobs too!

Melissa said...

Yaaaaaay for Chari!!! She looks so happy and you all look as beautiful as ever! Thanks for sharing some pictures from the wedding. Nauvoo is definitely a special place.